Shopping for Friends

So, he keeps telling me I need to make new friends, new LOCAL friends. Like it's just that easy. I'm not 16, or even 20 for that matter, where I'm in high school or college, and we are forced to see each other everyday so why not become buddies. I don't have a 9-5 office job, so no fertile ground there for picking up new friends. No. The only regular place I go to everyday is Barnes and Noble, and well, most of the people here are just strange. There is a girl sitting across from me, just from listening to random conversation I've learned that she is studying to be a nurse, never lets her roots grow in, and is engaged. She's pretty, seems to study a lot( a quality I like in a friend.... she's no lazy moron) and not single, which when you aren't single, you like to befriend people who aren't desperately seeking a man, and want you to accompany them on that mission. But I don't know......, she hasn't given me any kind of opening, a smile, a hey, I'm open to making new friends, kind of look. And I don't know how much we might actually have in common... Does she listen to Kelis and John Legend, does she know about the beef between Game and 50 Cent. Does she watch the Wire??? I wouldn't bet on it.
When I was walking into the cafe today, I was alongside a girl who looked to be my age, maybe a little younger, cute, sort of shaped like me, I think she was Spanish, maybe Cuban, or maybe Italian.... she told me how she loved my dress and smiled a really warm smile. This probably happens a few times a week, a girl complimenting my clothes, or shoes... This should be my opening. "Hey, you like the way I dress... that's already something in common, LETS BE FRIENDS!!!" But instead I just politely thank them and tell them where to go shopping. I am too shy... Too afraid of rejection. Too afraid of picking up a friend I will later decide is all wrong for me. This is why I was never much of a dater. One of my best-friends now, was picked up by my one of my OTHER best-friends... because she has balls. She said, "Hey, lets get her number." And just walked up to her and started talking to her. I can't do that. I don't know how! But if this is to be my home, then I really need to start meeting girls. If anyone knows anyone in Miami, please, let me know... I can use all the help I can get.


<< Home