Mindless Eating?

Professor studies psychology- why do we eat mindlessly?”
Recently, Dr. Brian Wansink published a book called, “Mindless Eating: Why we eat more than we think.” I would like to take Dr. Wansink to task. He says that, "The more people, the more you eat, up to 90% more than you eat when you're alone." Well, as an amateur with no PhD to wave around, I tend to believe that Dr. Wansink thoroughly researched this subject, I'm just not sure he accounted for all subjects. Because see, there is a demographic of people *cough* single twentysomething chicks* cough* who I think might dissagree with his assesment. In fact, I would just like to ask Dr. Wansink if he has he ever gone out to dinner with four, single twenty-five year old woman? Particularly, but not limited to, those from L.A., New York or Miami.
Recently, Dr. Brian Wansink published a book called, “Mindless Eating: Why we eat more than we think.” I would like to take Dr. Wansink to task. He says that, "The more people, the more you eat, up to 90% more than you eat when you're alone." Well, as an amateur with no PhD to wave around, I tend to believe that Dr. Wansink thoroughly researched this subject, I'm just not sure he accounted for all subjects. Because see, there is a demographic of people *cough* single twentysomething chicks* cough* who I think might dissagree with his assesment. In fact, I would just like to ask Dr. Wansink if he has he ever gone out to dinner with four, single twenty-five year old woman? Particularly, but not limited to, those from L.A., New York or Miami.
I think not, because if he did, then he would know that rule # 1 is “don’t look like the food whoring pig.” In other words, when we go out we order a salad or grilled chicken. And absolutely no dessert. In fact, when the waiter comes to ask, we all look at one another hoping, praying that someone will say, “Yes, bring me that tiramisu, STAT” and then we can follow suite.But alas, this never happens, because no one wants to be the topic of conversation. “Can you believe she ate that Chocolate Mousse. And she wonders why she has a gut.” No, we choose instead to indulge in the pleasures of fattening fare in solitude. In the privacy of our living rooms as we watch “ Greys Anatomy" and "What about Brian” wondering why two of the most beautiful men ever aren’t fighting each other for the honor of marrying us. We eat alone in shame, but with profound pleasure. Dulce de Leche'Ice Cream, chips, Starbucks Vanilla Fraps…. If no one see’s it, it must not have happened. Right?
We look for the answer to our neurosis at the bottom of the brownie pan or chunky monkey bowl. But always in private, or if very close, with only 1 other. A best-friend who is sworn to secrecy. Of course there are exceptions to this rule, one petite Asian with a stomach like a hoover vacuum comes to mind, but then she bucks all tradition:)
We may eat mindlessly, but we are very conscious of those around us, what they are eating, and what we want them to witness going into our mouths. Call me Dr. Wansink, I can teach you all about it.


<< Home